Resources available in the Wisconsin Digital Archives:
|Picture of a dairy cow courtesy of Pixabay|
- Contribution of Agriculture to the Wisconsin Economy - This report, published by the Wisconsin Department of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection (DATCP) and UW-Extension, provides statistics about the importance of the dairy industry to Wisconsin's economy. Here are just a few highlights:
- Wisconsin is home to more than 10,000 dairy farms.
- 1.27 million cows live in Wisconsin.
- The dairy industry contributes $43.4 billion to Wisconsin's economy each year.
- The nearly 1,200 licensed cheesemakers in Wisconsin produce a quarter of the nation's cheese, more than 2.86 billion pounds.
- Welcome to Wisconsin : America's Dairyland! - DATCP provides an overview and statistics about why Wisconsin is such a great place to be a dairy farmer.
- Annual Wisconsin Agricultural Statistics - This annual publication by DATCP provides a statistical profile of Wisconsin's agricultural industry at both the state and county levels.
- Wisconsin Dairy Plant Directory - This directory helps users locate and identify the over 400 dairy plants operating in Wisconsin.
- Dairy Farming Resources - DATCP provides a list of Wisconsin agricultural organizations that offer resources for our state's dairy producers and processors. Find a brief description of each organization and a link to their websites for more information.
Mary Hutnik and Abby Swanton, Resources for Libraries and Lifelong Learning